Monday, January 30, 2006

Consumer Reports' "Dirty Dozen" Drugs

Consumer Reports recently ran an article noting 12 commonly used drugs they have identified as having known or suspected serious risks that were undetected or underestimated when the FDA approved them.

Their "dirty dozen" are: celecoxib (Celebrex), estrogen (when taken alone), isotretinoin (Accutane), malathion (Ovide), medroxyprogesterone injections (Depo Provera), mefloquine (Lariam), rosuvastatin (Crestor), salmeterol (Serevent), sibutramine (Meridia), SSRIs such as sertraline (Zoloft), venlafaxine (Effexor), tegaserod (Zelnorm) and topical immunosuppressant pimecrolimus (Elidel).

Consumer Reports

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Janice Still and i would like to show you my personal experience with Depo-Provera.

I am 24 years old. I have been on Depo for 9 years and did not realize that the symptoms I experienced might be related to the shot. I am now facing thousands of dollars in dental work due to bone density loss, and will probably end up with osteoporosis. I am getting off Depo and will never touch it again!

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Low libido, joint pain, bone density loss, dental problems, headaches, fatigue, out of control eating, gained 40 lbs., depression

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Janice Still