Thursday, February 16, 2006

Genetech - Avastin: Big Pimpin'!


Cancer docs are reportedly "excited" about the prospect of Avastin, a drug already used for colon cancer, as a crucial new treatment for breast and lung cancer, too.

But doctors are cringing at the price Genentech, plans to charge for it: about $100,000 a year.

But wait, here's the kicker: "Studies show that Avastin can prolong the lives of patients with late-stage breast and lung cancer by several months when the drug is combined with existing therapies. "

Extra months!

Is that all? No wonder Genentech are gouging....... get the money out of the poor suckers while they still have a pulse and a chequebook.

That sure is some big pimpin'!

It reminds Insider of the old Henny Youngman joke:

"My doctor told me I had three months to live. I told him that I couldn't pay his bill......... so he gave me another three months!"


Alex Berenson of the NYT

No comments: