Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dr Peter Rost - an exclusive interview with PharmaGossip on the day of his book launch / blog party


Peter, your career within the pharma industry is certainly unique. Looking back at the highs and lows what were your best and worst times?

Best time was when I became Wyeth's managing director for the Nordic Region. Nothing like having your own area. People who are later promoted back to HQ keep reminiscing about that time . . . worst time . . . when I was sent back to HQ.

Is there anything you feel you could have handled better?

20/20 hindsight always gives clarity.

I used to trust people.

I don't do that anymore.

If I would relive my life, I would simply have gone straight to the police in Sweden, without notifying the company.

Same with Pharmacia/Pfizer.

My advice is the same as the one given by Sherron Watkins, the Enron whistlblower; there is very little point in going to management if you discover something untoward is going on, and there is a big chance they are involved.

Get out, or go to authorities. Don't waste your time thinking the company will happy to hear from you.

Your new book, "The Whistleblower: Confessions of a Healthcare Hitman." Why the title? Do you think of yourself as a "hitman"?

The book started out as a fiction book, called "The Whistleblower." But everyone wanted the "real" story. So here it is.

And, when I look at what my job was, it was to act as a "Healthcare Hitman."

Kick people out, twist the arm of governments, whatever it took to increase profits.

Your old CEO at Pfizer also wrote a book. Indeed, you reviewed it! Are you planning to send Hank McKinnell a copy of yours for review? What do you think he might say about it?

No, I don't plan on sending Dr. McKinnell anything. I sent an e-mail to Karen Katen, in May, which I wrote about on my blog, Katen, like Dr. McKinnell is a co-defendant in my litigation.

Pfizer's lawyers acted as if they'd had a heart attack when I contacted Ms. Katen.

So I don't want to give them a reason to think I don't adhere to their request to only contact defendants through legal counsel. See this: http://peterrost.blogspot.com/2006/05/pfizer-celebrity-lawyer-runs-to-court.html

Moving on to Big Pharma and their "demons". What are their big issues over the next 5 to 10 years?

Profits.

They will tumble.

That will affect everything that happens.

Consolidations. Big time.

Pharma will focus even more on D.C. and getting the politicians to do their bidding.

Which they will do.

How will Big Pharma change?

Just like auto industry went from 100s of US manufacturers, drug companies will be reduced to 3 or 4 major players in next 20 years.

That's interesting, it's exactly the prediction of GSK's CEO JP Garnier.

Looking at the US in particular. If you were President instead of George W Bush how would you improve healthcare for the American public?

I didn't like socialized, one payer medicine. So I voted with my feet. But then I discovered the complete waste in the US system and how people suffer.

The only way is a government system modeled on Canada, UK or Sweden. Anything else is a scam, with insurers, drug companies and other ripping off tax payers.

Michael Moore's upcoming movie "Sicko" seems to have Big Pharma and the healthcare industry in a spin. Have you been filmed for it yet? What would you want to say?

No, they keep going back and forth and changing people. I'm not sure Michael knows what he wants. But meanwhile I have received a proposal to do a documentary about my book.

We have not said yes yet, there are several other considerations . . .

Looking to your future. What plans do you have that you can tell us about? Are there things you cant talk about at the moment?

I won't get another job in Pharma. It became clear three years ago it would be hard, and Pfizer's public firing and calling the entire US press, certainly hasn't helped my job prospects.

They've made sure I'm completely unemployable, and, of course, they'd love if I starved to death.

So I can't do that.

Would be too much fun for them. So, my one and only option is to become a best selling author.

Next manuscript is already ready . . .

PharmaGossip is widely read within the industry. Do you have a message to other insiders who might be considering "blowing the whistle" on wrongdoing?

1. Don't do it.

2. Don't do it.

3. Don't do it.

No one really thanks you for it.

Everyone pretends to fight crime but reality is, which my book shows, there is simply a giant scheme of pay-offs going on, with companies paying a fraction of their illegal gains in penalties.

Police and justice are overworked, they don't want more cases. No one really wants to hear you out.

4. If you can't live with yourself?

Ok, then go to the police, justice department, whatever.

DON'T contact the company. JUST DON'T DO THAT. Make sure you are "safe" before you do that. Like new job, wealthy, because sooner or later you will be fired.
It may take a year, two or three, but they will try to destroy you.

Try to find a second person who can corroborate your info.

Because they WILL try to make you look like you are crazy.

Dr. Peter Rost, thank you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not buying it! If anyone thinks that the world works in black and white, they are suffering under a great big illusion. And so it is with Dr. Rost and his story. Neither he or Pfizer are blameless or paragons of virtue. And, if he now thinks that no one should blow the whistle like he did, then how exactly can progress be made? Perhaps it's not such a bad idea to try to work things from the inside. Or, you can do your time, retire, and then blow the whistle. That way you are less vulnerable. Yet another way is to do what I have tried, so far successfully although the jury is still out. That is, say it like it is but in a constructive manner. That's how I try to influence the industry via my own blog "The Laszlo Letter." Don't just complain. Try to suggest solutions. If interested, go to: www.thelaszloletter.com