Friday, January 26, 2007

Lilly - Viva Zyprexa contd.

Back story here.

Insider has just recently come across this telling passage in the court transcripts posted at Furious Seasons:

In the midst of being asked how she obtained the documents, Vera Sharav, who heads the Alliance for Human Research Protection, gave answer that went much further:

VERA SHARAV: "My interest is the content because the documents document the fact that Eli Lilly knew that the -- that Zyprexa causes diabetes. They knew it from a group of doctors that they hired who told them you have to come clean. That was in 2000. And instead of warning doctors who are widely prescribing the drug, Eli Lilly set about in an aggressive marketing campaign to primary doctors. Little children are being given this drug. Little children are being exposed to horrific diseases that end their lives shorter. Now, I consider that a major crime and to continue to conceal these facts from the public is I think really not in the public interest. This is a safety issue."

MR. LEHNER [Lilly's lawyer]: "I move to strike as being nonresponsive to my last question and I would like to ask the court reporter if he is able to -- I think I remember my last question. I'll repeat my last question. Nonetheless, I'll make a motion to strike the last answer."

THE COURT [Judge Weinstein]: "Denied."

It sure is hard to get that genie back in the bottle!

No comments: