Friday, August 26, 2011

Man sues firm after claiming pill made him depressed

A HAWKHURST man is suing pharmaceutical giant Sanofi-Aventis after claiming that a diet pill made him depressed and suicidal.

Robert Johnson, 50, of Horns Road, said taking the appetite suppressant Acomplia for less than a month triggered psychiatric problems which led to him losing his £45,000-a-year job working for the Ministry of Defence in Sevenoaks.

The father-of-three moved to Hawkhurst in 2007 with his wife Judith when his job relocated.

Weighing more than 25 stone, he agreed to try the diet pill, also known as Rimonabant, in February 2008.

Mr Johnson, who had worked for the MOD for 22 years, said: "Two weeks later I broke down in tears at work in the middle of a chat with my boss about nothing in particular.

"This was completely out of the blue, so I went back to the doctor who put me on mild anti-depressants."

A few days later Mr Johnson had a breakdown and in April 2010 he was dismissed from his job. He had been in charge of nearly 60 people.

He said: "I felt I was worthless.

"I asked my wife to have me committed as I was worried I would hurt her and my daughters Hannah, Rebekah and Katherine.

"I felt suicidal. I dreamt of going to Beachy Head and getting close to the edge."

The Government demanded the drug be taken off the market two years ago.

Sanofi-Aventis declined to make a comment.

Posted via email from Jack's posterous

No comments: