Saturday, January 07, 2012

1 Boring Old Man is off to watch a Texas trial

I started medical school at twenty-two, and went out of my way to change my specialty to psychiatry at thirty-three. It felt like the thing I was supposed to be doing. At the risk of sounding corny, I always felt honored to be allowed to practice medicine, and particularly psychiatry as I have known it. Now at seventy, if people are going to trivialize that, to treat it like some entrepreneurial business venture that doesn’t have to do with the fate of the patients being treated, and if some psychiatrists participated in that venture, I want to hear it in person. I’ve always thought that the question "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it – does it make a sound?" has an definite answer. "No!" That’s certainly true in psychotherapy – step one to untying the knots is having your story heard by another person. I just want the J&J/TMAP story heard, so that’s why I’m going to to Texas to be one of the people that hears it…

Posted via email from Jack's posterous

No comments: