A FRENCH court has found US biotech giant Monsanto guilty of the chemical poisoning of a farmer, a judgment that could lend weight to other health claims against pesticides.
In the first such case heard in court in France, grain grower Paul Francois, 47, said he suffered neurological problems including memory loss, headaches and stammering after inhaling Monsanto’s Lasso weedkiller in 2004.
He blamed the agri-business giant for not providing adequate warnings on the product label.
The ruling was given by a court in Lyon yesterday, which ordered an expert opinion of Francois’s losses to establish the amount of damages.
“It is a historic decision in so far as it is the first time that a [pesticide] maker is found guilty of such a poisoning,” François Lafforgue, Mr Francois’s lawyer, said.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
US biotech giant Monsanto guilty of poisoning farmer - Scotsman.com