Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Sugar Wars contd. Randy Jackson joins Merck diabetes campaign - Philadelphia Business Journal

>via bizjournals.com
Merck & Co. Inc. is teaming up with “American Idol” judge and Grammy Award-winning music producer Randy Jackson for an awareness campaign aimed at getting people with type 2 diabetes to commit to a healthier lifestyle.
Jackson was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2003. He will be touring the country with Merck (NYSE:MRK) representatives for the pharmaceutical company’s “Take Diabetes to Heart” campaign. Jackson will share his personal experience with the disorder and help others with type 2 diabetes understand its potential serious complications, including heart disease
The program will provide resources and information to help inspire people to take small steps to better health, Merck said.
“When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my doctors told me that people with type 2 diabetes have an increased risk of heart disease and stroke,” Jackson said. “This was all I needed to know to take my diabetes to heart. I made changes to my lifestyle and worked with my doctors to set goals for my blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol.”
Last year, the Food and Drug Administration approved Merck’s Juvisync drug — a combination of its diabetes drug Januvia and the another Merck drug, Zocor, used to lower high cholesterol.
Based in Whitehouse Station , N.J., Merck has large operations in West Point, Montgomery County.

No comments: