BOSTONA jury has awarded a Massachusetts teenager and her parents $63 million nearly a decade after she suffered a life-threatening drug reaction that caused her to lose most of her skin after taking Johnson & Johnson's children's pain reliever Motrin.
Johnson & Johnson and its McNeil-PPC Inc. subsidiary should pay Samantha Reckis and her parents a total of $109 million, including interest, a Plymouth Superior Court jury decided on Wednesday.
Samantha was 7 when she was given Motrin brand ibuprofen, family attorney Brad Henry said. She suffered a rare side effect known as toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) and lost 90 percent of her skin and was blinded, he said.
She suffered brain damage that "thankfully" involved only short-term memory loss, he said, and surgeons had to drill through her skull to relieve some pressure.
The disease also seared Samantha's respiratory system, and she now has just 20 percent lung capacity, Henry said.