Wednesday, May 31, 2006

NHS IT - two years late and three times the cost

The core of a £20 billion scheme to computerise the UK's NHS is at least two and a half years behind schedule.

Lord Warner, the health minister, said plans to create electronic medical records for 50 million NHS patients, due to have begun last year, will not be implemented until late 2007 at the earliest.

Lord Warner also said the real cost of the NHS programme for IT (NPfIT) was likely to more than three times the previously stated £6.2 billion total - something admitted by officials 18 months ago but not so far owned up to by ministers.

Daily Telegraph

1 comment:

Abel Pharmboy said...

Hallo, mate! Thanks for coming over to extend the best wishes. As soon as I have confirmation, I shall send you the new URL since you were so very kind to link to me in the very early days of Terra Sig.

Love this NHS post - have you followed the NHS alternative medicine pissing about?

It's always a pleasure to read your blog and I'll be sure to continue linking to you in my new digs. I love all the new additions to your sidebar.