Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Are Zyprexa, Risperdal, and Abilify overprescribed in children?

The antipsychotic drug market is one of the largest in the drug business. Zyprexa is Eli Lilly’s largest drug with an estimated $4.6 B (USD) in revenue for 2009 (Barclays estimates). Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Abilify is one of the most important drugs to the company with estimated 2009 revenue of $2.4 B. The Risperdal franchise for JNJ, at $2.3 B (E), and AstraZeneca’s Seroquel, at more than $4 B (E), are also vital to the respective companies.

Accompanying this massive revenue stream is one of the most powerful series of marketing and lobbying strategies in the world, next to statins and oil companies. Several million Americans alone are now taking antipsychotics. Is classic schizophrenia with delusions and hallucinations really that prevalent or are these drugs being overprescribed in unapproved indications?

Evidence is growing that off-label prescribing of antipsychotics is leading to inappropriate usage of these drugs in the elderly nursing home setting and in the pediatric setting. More troubling, in the pediatric population, disadvantaged minority children are far more likely to be prescribed these drugs, leading to a lifelong sequelae of disease.

Pediatric psychiatrist. Dr. Correll, discusses whether drugs like Abilify, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Fanapt, Seoul, etc are overprescribed. To view the story, register http://thehcc.tv/ or login with your password.

Recent studies have added to the literature showing the severe adverse events caused by antipsychotics (weight gain, diabetes, elevated lipids, suicide, etc.). In our previous story (below), Dr. Correll detailed the metabolic syndrome that arises rapidly in children on antipsychotics.

Antipsychotics in children associated with significant weight gain and elevated lipids

The use of antipsychotics in children is controversial for many reasons. The data to support this practice is scant and biased by industry funding. The U.S. Senate has documented this at length. Data are now mounting that show antipsychotics create significant adverse events, including large weight gain and elevated cholesterol, or “metabolic syndrome” in many cases. Given the ages of the children, these adverse events are harmful to development and may shorten lifespan.

Christoph Correll, MD, pediatric psychiatrist and recent author of a white paper in JAMA on this topic, discusses the adverse events in children associated with antipsychotic usage.

Topics discussed:

  • Is Abilify unique in not causing weight gain?
  • Which drugs caused the most weight gain and elevated lipid levels?

To view the discussion, register on http://thehcc.tv/ or login using your password.

The Healthcare Channel on http://thehcc.tv/

2 comments:

Daniel Haszard said...

Eli Lilly has made $40 billion on $10 a pill Zyprexa and it was way oversold and caused diabetes and in some cases sudden death.

Zyprexa was pushed by Lilly Drug Reps.
They called it the "Five at Five" (5 mg at 5 pm to keep nursing home patients subdued and sleepy) and "VIVA ZYPREXA" (Zyprexa for everybody) campaigns to off label market Eli Lilly Zyprexa as a fix for unapproved usage.

I am a living example of Zyprexa gone/done wrong was given it 1996-2000 off-label for PTSD got sudden high blood sugar A1C 14.7 in January 2000.The stuff was worthless for my condition PTSD and cost me thousands in co-pays gave me diabetes.
--
Daniel Haszard

Anonymous said...

I went through a rough patch in high school. I was frumpy and came from an unsupportive home. What developed was teenage depression and so I withdrew. My school noticed I was skipping classes and failing in my studies and so referred me to a two week out patient program.

The first day at the program I was seen by a doctor wearing a black bowtie with yellow spots (yes, really) for about 15 minutes. I left that meeting with a prescription for Risperdal. I had never had, "voices," I was not a danger to myself, I had never been in a fight, I was not destructive, I didn't have delusions.

After a week on the medication I began to feel flat and trapped, it felt wrong. I quit the medication and never looked back. I pulled out of my slump, graduated college with a 3.7, and now have a normal healthy life.

There is no doubt in my mind that medication is right for some people. For me it was not, all I needed was an attitude adjustment.